My goal for this resource is: take a non technical person with 0 product experience (PM/CEO/entrepreneur) to someone who can manage their own product.
I am here to help you do this transformation.
The articles are centered around Ruby on Rails but I try to write it simple so that it translates to other frameworks as well.
Got an idea what’s missing? let me know and I’ll fill it in.
Scope + Planning
Status of completion 30%
- About starting small: the definition of an MVP Outline
- Examples of different teams and how much PM overhead comes with it?
- Functional specs: the 80/20 of specification Outline
- Is it a good idea to build on top of existing OS software? Outline
- 5 lessons I learned from building products for startups Outline
- What’s better: working with freelancers or full-time staff? Outline
Teams and people management
- Freelancer vs. Fixed Employee. When to use who?
- Scrum process: when is a well-meant approach too much? What’s the 80/20 ?
- The mindsets differences of Asian to Western developers Outline
- Leading software teams: How to do hard things without screwing up the morale?
- How your project can attract great talent Outline
- For Devs becoming PMs - how deep to go into a topic?Outline
Concepts to know
- Mangers should know these 9 Facts About Technical Debt
- Important concepts about consistency Rails PMs need to know.
- I18n: what’s the best practice to translate a software? Outline
- Notification systems. What’s hard about them + some best practices.
- Tagging systems: How flexibility can slow your software down and screw with UX (and how to do it right)
- All things to know in a user authentication system.
- Multi-tenancy systems: How to separate customer data Outline
- Feature flags and main branch deployment. with
- Graphql or not graphql? How much do you pay and what do you actually get?
- Do you actually need a tag system or not?
- Struggling with server deployments? What’s the DYI case, and when to use Heroku.
- Email provider options + most important things to know about DKIM etc. (with an SC admin?)
- What’s the 80/20 of testing?
- Architecture of a hack-proof system
- What’s the point of JAMSTACK websites?
Ruby on Rails
- Error system: 3 tiers of logging from MVP to Enterprise level
- The most common threats for a rails application.
- We processed 5 million EUR in one nightly run. Lessons learned from long-running background jobs.